Are Django/Turbogears too specific?

Bruno Desthuilliers bdesth.quelquechose at free.quelquepart.fr
Sun Dec 21 15:14:50 EST 2008

Philip Semanchuk a écrit :
(snip)
>  From the reading I did, I gathered that Django was really good if you
> want to do what Django is good at, but not as easy to customize as, say,
> Pylons.

That was my first impression too, and was more or less true some years
ago. After more experience, having gained a deeper knowledge of Django's
internals, I can tell you this is just not true. You can "customize" it
as you want - meaning: you can use any ORM (or no ORM at all) and any
template language you want, as long as you don't intend to use django's
ORM and template language related features (which just don't exist in
Pylons). IOW : Django is just as flexible as Pylons (or pretty close
to), but has more to offer if you stick to builtin components.

NB : not to dismiss Pylons, which is a pretty great framework too, and
use IMHO better default components (namely SQLAlchemy and Mako).