"as" keyword woes

Chris Mellon arkanes at gmail.com
Thu Dec 4 11:39:26 EST 2008

On Wed, Dec 3, 2008 at 11:42 PM, Warren DeLano <warren at delsci.com> wrote:
>> > Why was it necessary to make "as" a reserved keyword?
>>
>> I can't answer for the Python developers as to why they *did* make it
>> a reserved word.
>>
>> But I can offer what I believe is a good reason why it *should* be a
>> reserved word: Because simple is better than complex, and special
>> cases aren't special enough to break the rules.
>
> So you prefer broken code to broken rules, eh?  Your customers must love
> that!  This is exactly the kind of ivory-tower thinking I feared might
> be behind the decision (form over function, damn the users to hell,
> etc.)

<remainder of creed skipped>

Honestly, based on the content and tenor of this post I think this is
Yet Another Python Troll (the ivory tower reference, as well as the
abrupt shift from complaining about keywords to multiprocessing), I
have to point out that Python does add new keywords, it has done so in
the past, and there was a considerable amount of warning, including an
automated deprecation warning in the very version you are going to
recommend to your "customers' (I don't actually think you have any
customers). If you suppressed or ignored the deprecation warning that
all your code has been generating for at least 2 years it's pretty
damn ballsy to come here and tell everyone how *Python* is doing
something wrong.