Python 3 read() function

Дамјан Георгиевски gdamjan at gmail.com
Thu Dec 4 14:01:11 EST 2008

> I don't think it matters.  Here's a quick comparison between 2.5 and
> 3.0 on a relatively small 17 meg file:
>
> C:\>c:\Python30\python -m timeit -n 1
> "open('C:\\work\\temp\\bppd_vsub.csv', 'rb').read()"
> 1 loops, best of 3: 36.8 sec per loop
>
> C:\>c:\Python25\python -m timeit -n 1
> "open('C:\\work\\temp\\bppd_vsub.csv', 'rb').read()"
> 1 loops, best of 3: 33 msec per loop
>
> That's 3 orders of magnitude slower on python3.0!

Isn't this because you have the file cached in memory on the second run?

--
дамјан ( http://softver.org.mk/damjan/ )

"The moment you commit and quit holding back, all sorts of unforseen
incidents, meetings and material assistance will rise up to help you.
The simple act of commitment is a powerful magnet for help." -- Napoleon