Emacs vs. Eclipse vs. Vim

Nick Craig-Wood nick at craig-wood.com
Mon Dec 1 07:30:46 EST 2008

Josh <jhofmo at hotmail.com> wrote:
>  If you were a beginning programmer and willing to make an investment in
>  steep learning curve for best returns down the road, which would you pick?

IMHO I'd want these features

  * Keyboard macros
  * Regular expression search and replace
  * Integration with version control
  * Infinite undo
  * Syntax colouring (not essential)
  * Bracket matching (useful but not essential)
  * Integration with compiler with error throwback (essential for C code work)
  * Automatic indenting (a great time saver)

I know that emacs (my choice) and vim have all these features, don't
know about Eclipse.

In fact if I had to pick one feature that a programmer's editor must
have it would be keyboard macros.