Text parsing via regex

Shane Geiger sgeiger at ncee.net
Mon Dec 8 15:03:32 EST 2008

http://aspn.activestate.com/ASPN/Cookbook/Python/Recipe/148061

def wrap(text, width):
    """
    A word-wrap function that preserves existing line breaks
    and most spaces in the text. Expects that existing line
    breaks are posix newlines (\n).
    """
    return reduce(lambda line, word, width=width: '%s%s%s' %
                  (line,
                   ' \n'[(len(line)-line.rfind('\n')-1
                         + len(word.split('\n',1)[0]
                              ) >= width)],
                   word),
                  text.split(' ')
                 )

# 2 very long lines separated by a blank line
msg = """Arthur:  "The Lady of the Lake, her arm clad in the purest \
shimmering samite, held aloft Excalibur from the bosom of the water, \
signifying by Divine Providence that I, Arthur, was to carry \
Excalibur. That is why I am your king!"

Dennis:  "Listen. Strange women lying in ponds distributing swords is \
no basis for a system of government. Supreme executive power derives \
from a mandate from the masses, not from some farcical aquatic \
ceremony!\""""

# example: make it fit in 40 columns
print(wrap(msg,40))

# result is below