Guido's new method definition idea

Andreas Waldenburger geekmail at usenot.de
Sat Dec 6 18:23:07 EST 2008

On Sat, 6 Dec 2008 14:39:34 -0800 (PST) "Russ P."
<Russ.Paielli at gmail.com> wrote:

> I don't know much about Perl, but my understanding is that a dollar
> sign must be used every time a variable is dereferenced, as in bash or
> other shell languages. What we are proposing here is something
> entirely different: the dollar sign would simply be a shorthand for
> "self". In Perl, the dollar sign is clutter, but in this case it
> actually reduces clutter.

This is the weirdest thing. Not a month seems to go by that this old
hat isn't dug up again. You're fighting windmills. Why do you think
self has been around so long? Because it's the best choice? No, because
it works and there just is no need to change it (where "need" is
defined by the desires of the majority).

Getting the Python comunity to replace self with something shorter will
never compensate for the time you spent bullying it through. I'd much
rather spend time coding than complaining, but that might be just me.
(BTW: I have my editor set up so that "s" is expanded to "self" and "."
is expanded to "self."; I virtually lose no time at all with self and
would gain nothing from a change to it.

And regarding line-lengths: My code lines tend to be shorter than my
comments explaining them, but that may again be just me.

Excuse my being stubborn. :)
/W

--
My real email address is constructed by swapping the domain with the
recipient (local part).