Learning Python now coming from Perl

Roy Smith roy at panix.com
Sat Dec 6 13:30:13 EST 2008

In article <ghecgk$81m$1 at panix3.panix.com>, aahz at pythoncraft.com (Aahz)
wrote:

> In article <ghe0jo$3i1$1 at news.motzarella.org>,
> Bertilo Wennergren  <bertilow at gmail.com> wrote:
> >
> >I don't suppose there is any introductory material out there that is
> >based on Python 3000 and that is also geared at people with a Perl
> >background? Too early for that I guess..
>
> Honestly, the differences between 2.x and 3.0 are small enough that it
> doesn't much matter, as long as you're not the kind of person who gets
> put off by little problems.  Because so much material is for 2.x, you
> may be better off just learning 2.x first and then moving to 3.x.

I'm not sure I agree.  If you're starting out, you might as well learn the
new stuff.  Then there's no need to unlearn the old way.

Using material meant for 2.x is likely to lead to confusion.  If you don't
know either, you'll never know if something isn't working as described
because you're doing it wrong or if it's just not the same as it used to
be.  When everything is new, what seem like little stumbling blocks to
experts become total blockers to people starting from zero.