Guido's new method definition idea

Benjamin Kaplan benjamin.kaplan at case.edu
Sat Dec 6 17:56:33 EST 2008

On Sat, Dec 6, 2008 at 4:51 PM, Daniel Fetchinson <fetchinson at googlemail.com
> wrote:

> >> Hi folks,
> >>
> >> The story of the explicit self in method definitions has been
> >> discussed to death and we all know it will stay. However, Guido
> >> himself acknowledged that an alternative syntax makes perfect sense
> >> and having both (old and new) in a future version of python is a
> >> possibility since it maintains backward compatibility. The alternative
> >> syntax will be syntactic sugar for the old one. This blog post of his
> >> is what I'm talking about:
> >>

> http://neopythonic.blogspot.com/2008/10/why-explicit-self-has-to-stay.html
> >>
> >> The proposal is to allow this:
> >>
> >> class C:
> >>     def self.method( arg ):
> >>         self.value = arg
> >>         return self.value
> >>
> >> instead of this:
> >>
> >> class C:
> >>     def method( self, arg ):
> >>         self.value = arg
> >>         return self.value
> >>
> >> I.e. explicit self stays only the syntax is slightly different and may
> >> seem attractive to some. As pointed out by Guido classmethods would
> >> work similarly:
> >>
> >> class C:
> >>     @classmethod
> >>     def cls.method( arg ):
> >>         cls.val = arg
> >>         return cls.val
> >>
> >> The fact that Guido says,
> >>
> >> "Now, I'm not saying that I like this better than the status quo. But
> >> I like it a lot better than [...] but it has the great advantage that
> >> it is backward compatible, and can be evolved into a PEP with a
> >> reference implementation without too much effort."
> >>
> >> shows that the proposal is viable.
> >>
> >> I'd like this new way of defining methods, what do you guys think?
> >> Anyone ready for writing a PEP?
> >>
> > What's the advantage?  If there is not a good reason, I would strongly
> > opposed polluting the language.
>
> Did you read the blog post? The advantage is having a less confusing
> situation for newbies (confusing the number of arguments to a method
> call).

2 points about this:

1) You'd confuse newbies about the fact that self.foo() is just syntax sugar
for cls.foo(self). The problem with newbies getting argument numbers still
exists, just in the other case. This could also get confusing when you call
methods for the super class

class Foo :
     def self.bar() :
class OtherFoo(Foo) ;
    def self.bar() :

b = OtherFoo()
cls = Foo
cls.bar(b)

2) You'd have to allow this at the module level too (or else it violates the
special cases part of the Zen). That would really confuse newbies.