Number of Python 3.x packages at the PyPI

"Martin v. Löwis" martin at v.loewis.de
Sun Dec 7 14:53:10 EST 2008

> I've had to fork my appscript project's codebase in order to add
> support for Python 3.x. I would like to distribute both 2.x and 3.x
> versions under the same package name for obvious reasons. This isn't a
> problem with eggs as the Python version number is included in each
> egg's name, but what about source distributions where both filenames
> are exactly the same (appscript-0.19.0.tar.gz)?

I see. My initial reaction was that something should be done about this;
please do bring this up on catalog-sig at python.org.

On second thought: can't you just include the source of both versions
in a single source distribution file?

If you are going to release them in lock-step, you probably want to
always release both sets of sources together; if you don't release
them in lock-step, users will get confused how to obtain the most
recent release for 3.x (say) if some version has only the 2.x release.

Regards,
Martin