Python is slow

Thorsten Kampe thorsten at thorstenkampe.de
Wed Dec 10 14:30:32 EST 2008

* cm_gui (Wed, 10 Dec 2008 10:42:40 -0800 (PST))>
> Python is SLOW.    And I am not comparing it with compiled languages
> like C.
> Python is even slower than PHP!

Sure. But Perl is faster than Ruby (exactly 2.53 times as fast). And
Python is 1.525 times faster than VisualBasic (or was it the other way
round?).

> Just go to any Python website and you will know.
> An example is:
> http://www2.ljworld.com/
> And this site is created by the creators of Django!

Quite slow, indeed! Django is even slower than Python itself...

> And it is not just this Python site that is slow. There are many many
> Python sites which are very slow. And please don’t say that it could
> be the web hosting or the server which is slow — because when so many
> Python sites are slower than PHP sites, it couldn’t be the web
> hosting.   Also, Zope/Plone is even slower.

I hope this will awaken the community. I did a quick test and it seems
that Zope is slower than Python but Python is faster than Plone and PHP
is faster than even Perl and Python _together_...!

Thanks for the heads-up, cm_gui!

Thorsten