How to sort a list of file paths

Eriksson, John john.eriksson at logica.com
Tue Dec 2 08:43:51 EST 2008

Hi again,

I've updated the example using the ideas and python tricks used on pages found via the link you gave me, Chris.

So... for future references here's the best (?) way of sorting a list of file names in the correct way (correct for some applications at least).

Note: For some odd reason I seemed to get the best performance using a lambda defined function instead of an ordinary function.

# --- EXAMPLE ---

import re
RE_DIGIT = re.compile(r'(\d+)')
ALPHANUM_KEY = lambda s: [int(g) if g.isdigit() else g for g in RE_DIGIT.split(s)]

file_list = ["File2.txt","File1.txt","File10.txt"]
file_list.sort(key=ALPHANUM_KEY)

Best Regards
/John