Python is slow

sturlamolden sturlamolden at yahoo.no
Fri Dec 12 08:29:15 EST 2008

On Dec 11, 4:25 am, Carl Banks <pavlovevide... at gmail.com> wrote:

> cm_gui is TROLL.  And I am not compring it with bots like Aaron
> Castironpi Brody.  cm_gui is even troller than Xah Lee!

Sure he is a troll, but he also have a point. Python is slower than it
needs to be.

Creating a fast implementation of a dynamic language is almost rocket
science. But it has been done. There is Stronghold, the fastest
version of Smalltalk known to man, on which the Sun Java VM is based.
On a recent benchmark Java 6 -server beats C compiled by GCC 4.2.3 And
most of that magic comes from an implementation of a dynamically typed
language (Smalltalk). A Python interpreter based on Strontalk would be
interesting...

http://shootout.alioth.debian.org/u32q/benchmark.php?test=all&lang=all

Second, there are other fast implementations of dynamic languages. The
CMUCL and SBCL versions of Common Lisp comes to min; you can see how
SBCL does in the same benchmark (CMUCL tends to be even faster).

So Python is a lot slower than it needs to be. But in most cases,
perceived 'slowness' comes from bad programming.

http://www.strongtalk.org/