New Python 3.0 string formatting - really necessary?

r rt8396 at gmail.com
Sat Dec 20 00:30:52 EST 2008

On Dec 19, 10:04 pm, Steve Holden <st... at holdenweb.com> wrote:
> r wrote:
> > Thanks Steven,
> > We need a real Pepsi challenge here to show the insignificance of this
> > change. I am not against change. But when we lose something as -
> > compact- as %formating i'm going to want to see a damn good reason for
> > it! Especially when this breaks code, and the "French Connection" is
> > not good enough reason for me :)
>
> > Christian said this was not going to be depreciated until 3.2, but
> > that still puts the accepted way on the chopping block.
>
> If Python is so important to you it's a pity you haven't been playing
> any active role in its development. Do you expect the developers to be
> psychic?

Steve,
I just recently started to have an opinion about these things. "The
squeaky wheel get the grease", just allowing my voice be heard. It
might seem that i am trashing Python dev, but that could not be
further from the truth.

Many great changes have been made in 3.0, i just feel strongly about C
style formating. Why could't we improve on what we had instead of
making radical changes? Thats all i am asking.