confused about __str__ vs. __repr__

Neal Becker ndbecker2 at gmail.com
Thu Dec 18 13:35:33 EST 2008

Mel wrote:

> Neal Becker wrote:
>
>> Tino Wildenhain wrote:

>>> it is:
>>>
>>>  > print x
>>> str
>>>
>>> but dict just uses repr() for all its childs to print.
>>>
>>> T.
>> That makes no sense to me.  If I call 'print' on a container, why
>> wouldn't
>> it recursively  print on the contained objects?  Since print means call
>> str, printing a container should recursively call str on the objects.
>
> Basically because there are too many right ways to format the resulting
> report.  Space separated?  Tab separated?  One per line?  Boxes around
> them?  As HTML definition lists?  Creating a standard report form would
> take a lot of work and wouldn't, finally, solve very many peoples'
> problems.
>
>         Mel.

Thanks, but the question of how to format the container is different from how to format the primitive elements of the container.  I was suggesting that printing an element of a container should be consistent with printing the element without the container, i.e.,

print [a]
should be consistent with
print a