Guido's new method definition idea

william tanksley wtanksleyjr at gmail.com
Mon Dec 8 19:43:31 EST 2008

On Dec 5, 6:21 pm, "Daniel Fetchinson" <fetchin... at googlemail.com>
wrote:
> I'd like this new way of defining methods, what do you guys think?
> Anyone ready for writing a PEP?

I think it's an awesome proposal. It's about time! With this change,
defining methods uses the same special syntax hack that calling them
does. This is a good thing because it makes it easy to refer to
methods consistently.

I see a lot of people are against it; I admit that it's not the status
quo, but that's not a sufficient argument against a change (it defeats
all possible changes). A more interesting argument against it is that
it's special "implicit" syntax; but I would argue that it merely
reflects the existing special syntax of method calls.

Unfortunately, writing a PEP is sadly outside my skillset.

> Daniel

-Wm