Are Django/Turbogears too specific?

Gilles Ganault nospam at nospam.com
Sun Dec 21 14:41:16 EST 2008

Hi

I'd like to rewrite a Web 2.0 PHP application in Python with AJAX, and
it seems like Django and Turbogears are the frameworks that have the
most momentum.

I'd like to use this opportunity to lower the load on servers, as the
PHP application wasn't built to fit the number of users hammering the
servers now.

I'm concerned, though, that these frameworks they may be too specific
to the tasks they were originally developped for (news articles,
AFAIK). Do you think I should just use eg. CherryPy and some basic
AJAX?

Thank you for any feedback.