New Python 3.0 string formatting - really necessary?

r rt8396 at gmail.com
Sun Dec 21 14:26:02 EST 2008

I noticed when i mentioned "self" nobody wants to touch that subject.
There could be many reasons why...

0.) nobody but the 10 regulars i see here exists
1.) nobody cares(doubt it)
2.) nobody is brave enough to question it(maybe)
3.) most people like to type self over and over again(doubt it)
4.) most people here have given up on changing the BDFL's mind about
it. (good possibility)
5.) this is a hot-button topic(no doubt in my mind!)

I think Guido's intension's are pure, but this is a major turnoff to
new users. Do we really need to hold a new users hand that much. Does
it really matter if they know the path of said obj. If you can't
fiqure this out for yourself you have much greater problems.

I do not like self, and i lamented it from day one, now it is second
nature to me but does that mean it is really needed?? I feel i have
been brainwashed into its usage.

This was the reason for using indention over the bracket plague in
python. REDUNDANCY!!! Why not dump self and make the language cleaner.
I love python's classes, but HATE self.redundant! This really needs to
be fixed, and you have not heard the last from me about it!!!

3000 would have been the perfect time to dump self and really clean up
the language, and it's not too late, dawn is not upon us yet.