Emacs vs. Eclipse vs. Vim

Stef Mientki stef.mientki at gmail.com
Mon Dec 1 15:19:40 EST 2008

Peter Anderson wrote:
> What I have done is skipped the whole Vim/Emacs obscure editor thing
> and opted for PyScripter (see
> http://mmm-experts.com/Products.aspx?ProductID=4 ). It might not be as
> complete/complex as these other editors but it is easy to use and just
> lets me get on with the task of cutting code.
if it works it's a fair good editor, but if it doesn't (I have to
restart the editor about each hour) ...

> As a fall-back I also use EditPlus (see
> http://www.editplus.com/index.html ). Its only for Windows
but PyScripter is also only for windows ;-)
> and its shareware so you need to pay for it. Its clip library makes it
> a VERY GOOD text editor. It's a real shame there are NO text editors
> with such a comprehensive and easy to modify clip library function (I
> would be really pleased to be proven wrong on this last point :-) ).
What so great about it ?
I use a template manager, written in pure python, works under any OS
(where Python is installed) and can be used with any text editor and is
open source and completely free. I think it has at least the same
capabilities as the Komodo clip library.
Somewhere in the middle of the following page are a few notes:
  http://mientki.ruhosting.nl/data_www/pylab_works/pw_code_editor.html
and you can find the sources here:
  http://code.google.com/p/pylab-works/downloads/list

> However, the best advice I think that can be given about editors is
> keep trying them until you find the one YOU like. We all like
> different things, especially when it comes to editors.

+1

cheers,
Stef