New Python 3.0 string formatting - really necessary?

walterbyrd walterbyrd at iname.com
Mon Dec 22 09:58:06 EST 2008

On Dec 21, 12:28 pm, Bruno Desthuilliers
<bdesth.quelquech... at free.quelquepart.fr> wrote:
> Strange enough,
> no one seems to complain about PHP or Ruby's performances...

A few years back, there was a certain amount of chest thumping, when
python/django easily beat ror in a benchmark test. Now that ruby is
faster, I guess speed is no big issue.

By the same reasoning, python advocates used to sneer at php because
php constantly broke backward compatibility. Now that python does it,
breaking backward compatibility is no big deal. I guess unicode
support was not that important, until python caught up to perl.

I guess, the way it works is: you first assume that python is
superior, then you figure out why.