Guido's new method definition idea

Sat Dec 6 00:36:32 EST 2008

On Fri, 05 Dec 2008 20:35:07 -0800, James Stroud wrote:

> Daniel Fetchinson wrote:
>> http://neopythonic.blogspot.com/2008/10/why-explicit-self-has-to-
stay.html

>> The proposal is to allow this:
>>
>> class C:
>>     def self.method( arg ):
>>         self.value = arg
>>         return self.value
>>
>> instead of this:
>>
>> class C:
>>     def method( self, arg ):
>>         self.value = arg
>>         return self.value
>
>> I'd like this new way of defining methods, what do you guys think?
>
> Consider the maverick who insists on
>
> class C:
>    def me.method(arg):
>      self.value = arg

Replace "self" with "me".

> which should be equivalent to
>
> class C:
>    def method(me, arg):
>      me.value = arg
>
> What's the interpreter going to do with our maverick's code?

I don't see why you think this is a problem. The compiler merely treats:

    def ANYTHING.method(arg):

inside a class as if it were

    def method(ANYTHING, arg):

and it will Just Work. If you want a classmethod, you still need to use
the classmethod decorator -- there's no reason to make self and cls
keywords.

Personally, I'm neutral on the idea. Perhaps +0.00001.

--
Steven