%s place holder does not let me insert ' in an sql query with python.

Krishnakant hackingkk at gmail.com
Mon Dec 15 08:46:03 EST 2008

hello all,
thanks for all of your very quick responses.
The problem is that I am using python 2.5 so the 2.6 syntax does not
apply in my case.
secondly, My problem is very unique.
I have created a function called executeProcedure in python which calls
stored procedures in postgresql.
The fun part of this function is that it has just got 3 standard
parameters namely the name of the sp to be called, whether it returns 1
or more records as a result and the list containing the input parameters
which that sp will need for execution.
So no matter what your sp does as in insert update delete or select, no
matter there is one param or 10 all you have to do is pass one string
containing the function name, one boolean and one list of params.
The rest is taken care by this python function.
So now all hackers will understand that the query to call the stored
procedure namely cursor.execute(select * from functname ) will be built
dynamically.
So now in this situation I have to build the querystring and then pass
it to execute of the cursor.
in this case, I get a problem when there is ' in any of the values
during insert or update.
If any one wants this code, Please let me know.  You all can get a lot
of utility out of the function.
This only becomes a problem when an ' comes in the value.
So I need help to fix the problem with the given context.
happy hacking.
Krishnakant.