Managing timing in Python calls

Ross nospam at forMe.thks
Wed Dec 17 11:35:13 EST 2008

Interesting stuff - I hadn't come across the 'with' syntax before, so
I've learned something already.

I was briefly excited to learn about the callLater command which is just
a convenience class for the wxTimer class.   It seems to be pretty much
a parallel of the
var t = window.setTimeout( function () { do_when_timed_out}

sort of thing in AJAX.

However, as is well grumbled on the 'net, you can't use wxTimer from a
non-main thread.   So that dropped off my plate.

But getting my head around my AJAX problem versus my python
implementation, I realized my use of those javascript structures were
really just used because javascript doesn't allow any threading at all.

With Python, just having my other processing path in a thread is enough,
and I can use the brutish time.sleep() function, without worrying about
blocking the processing of my mainline (UI) thread.  So I'm able to proceed.

I do want to know more about the 'with' command tho' so I'll look into that.

Thx again.

Ross.