64-bit / 128-bit data element type for array?

akineko akineko at gmail.com
Mon Dec 22 17:33:17 EST 2008

Hello Robert,

> Is that actually a 2s-complement 128-bit unsigned integer, or is it just a
> 128-bit-long chunk of data?

That is a good question.
A 128-bit data can be anything.
A 128-bit data can be an instrution code (VLIW machines use such wide
instruction). A 128-bit can be a packed ascill (16 chrs).
A 128-bit can be a descriptor (a structure of various fields).
It is probably safe to say that only unsigned 128-bit is required.
(I cannot think of any situations where signed 128-bit is necessary)

Hope this answers your question.

Aki Niimura