slow Python 3.0 write performance?

skip at pobox.com skip at pobox.com
Fri Dec 5 15:06:28 EST 2008

    Istvan> Could someone run the code below on both Python 2.5 and 3.0 For
    Istvan> me (on Windows) it runs over 7 times slower with Python 3.0

I/O was completely rewritten for Python 3.0.  Stdio is no longer used.  At
the moment I believe much of the io subsystem is still implemented in
Python.  Note these comments in io.py:

    # New I/O library conforming to PEP 3116.

    # This is a prototype; hopefully eventually some of this will be
    # reimplemented in C.

It should get faster over time.  It will get faster over a shorter period of
time if people contribute patches.

--
Skip Montanaro - skip at pobox.com - http://smontanaro.dyndns.org/