"as" keyword woes

Tue Dec 9 17:53:03 EST 2008

On Tue, 09 Dec 2008 08:30:26 -0800, Aaron Brady wrote:

> The following are semantically equivalent:
>
> I certainly wouldn't want something like PL/I, where "IF", "THEN" and
> "ELSE" could be identifiers.
>
> I wouldn't want something like PL/I, where "IF", "THEN" and "ELSE" could
> be identifiers.

"Certainly" adds emphasis. You don't just mildly not want something like
PL/I, but you really don't want it, so much so that you're amazed that
anyone might have thought you did.

The English language is very un-Pythonic. It especially breaks "Explicit
is better than implicit" -- words have many implied connotations which
are not necessarily found in dictionaries. For example, a "wise guy" and
a "wise man" are not the same thing, even though a guy and a man are the
same.

--
Steven