Problem accessing a web page

Chris Rebert clp at rebertia.com
Mon Dec 15 15:16:06 EST 2008

On Mon, Dec 15, 2008 at 11:55 AM, Antoni Mont <amontfes at yahoo.es> wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> My apologises if this is not the appropriate group.
>
> I'd like to access a web site from a python script. That page, in fact,
> is a form of main page. With a browser (Firefox, for instance) I can do
> it without problem: I open the main web whose url is:
>
> 'http://www.mcu.es/webISBN/tituloSimpleFilter.do?cache=init&prev_layout=busquedaisbn&layout=busquedaisbn&language=es'
>
> and then, from the same (or another tab) I open the form (it's a book
> database  and the ISBN is the relevant parameter) whose url is:
>
> 'http://www.mcu.es/webISBN/tituloSimpleDispatch.do?params.forzaQuery=N&params.cisbnExt=8484031128&action=Buscar&layout=busquedaisbn'
>
> So I get the information about the book.
>
> But when I try to do the same from the script, I get a time-out
> error -without time elapsing at all. This is the piece of the
> script relevant for the subject:

I'm able to grab the problem webpage via Python just fine, albeit with
a bit of a delay. So, don't know what your exact problem is, maybe
your connection?

If you're trying to programmatically browse the web, you might want to
look at mechanize: http://wwwsearch.sourceforge.net/mechanize/

Cheers,
Chris

--