Problem Python 2.6.1 vs 2.6 & pyWin32

Pekka Klärck peke at iki.fi
Mon Dec 15 17:58:07 EST 2008

2008/12/15 "Martin v. Löwis" <martin at v.loewis.de>:
>> I am very disappointed.  Help me, please.
>
> Try installing Python 2.6.1 "for all users".

Could you clarify why that's needed? Link to a relevant bug report or
something similar is enough. We've got some weird problems installing
Python packages (win32.exe) on Windows with Python 2.6 and would like
to know are these problems related.

One thing we noticed (I'm not sure has this been yet submitted to
bugs.python.org yet) was that installing packages created with Python
2.5 to Python 2.6 failed unless Python was in %PATH% [1]. Even then
output printed by postinstall scripts wasn't visible in the installer.
Another pretty severe problem was that installers created with Python
2.6 didn't work at all with older versions [2].

[1] http://code.google.com/p/robotframework/issues/detail?id=150
[2] http://code.google.com/p/robotframework/issues/detail?id=163

Cheers,
    .peke