Multiple Versions of Python on Windows XP

Jason Scheirer jason.scheirer at gmail.com
Tue Dec 2 18:32:25 EST 2008

On Dec 1, 4:49 pm, "Colin J. Williams" <c... at ncf.ca> wrote:
> Could anyone please point me to
> documentation on the way the msi
> installer handles multiple versions eg.
> Python 2.5, 2.6 and 3.0?
>
> What changes are made to the registry?
>
> Is there some way to specify a default
> version in such a way that it can be
> changed as necessary?
>
> PyScripter uses an option to select a
> version eg.
>
> C:\Program
> Files\PyScripter\PyScripter.exe --python26
>
> but I'm having some trouble with it when
> I attempt edit a python file from the
> Windows Explorer.
>
> I would appreciate any information.
>
> Colin W.

Some more factoids that may be of use:

1. The last Python you install will take over all the file
associations, start menu stuff, etc.
2. You can enumerate over the Pythons you have installed in \
\HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Python\PythonCore\
3. If you silently install a Python PACKAGE made with distutils'
bdist_msi, it will by default install to the latest Python version it
finds (2.6 > 2.5 > 2.4 > 2.3)