Strengths and weaknesses of Pygame vs. pyglet vs. PyOpenGL?

Patrick Mullen saluk64007 at gmail.com
Sun Dec 7 20:17:45 EST 2008

On Sun, Dec 7, 2008 at 4:43 PM,  <excord80 at gmail.com> wrote:
> Trying to decide which to get started with. Can anyone suggest some
> pros and cons to each of them?
>
> Would PyOpenGL be in the same camp as Pygame and pyglet? Do either of
> Pygame or pyglet make use of PyOpenGL behind the scenes?
> --

PyOpengl - an opengl wrapper.  Version 2 is written in c, version 3
instead uses ctypes
Pyglet - an opengl + events/sound/etc wrapper written in ctypes
pygame - an sdl wrapper for 2d rendering, sound, music, events, etc
that can be used with pyopengl if 3d hardware support is desired.

If you want to do 3d, your choice is basically pygame+pyopengl or
pyglet.  pyglet is nice because it comes with everything you need,
versus pygame where you have to interact via pyopengl.  Pygame
+pyopengl2 is faster than pyglet or pygame+pyopengl3 becuase pyglet
and pyopengl3 take a hit from ctypes.

There is a project with pyopengl3 though to add some c code to speed
things up, I think it works with numeric.

Pyglet will be easiest to start with and use, it seems to be
everyone's favorite choice these days.