Multiple equates

Cameron Laird claird at lairds.us
Wed Dec 3 10:47:54 EST 2008

In article <gh5q7c$r1e$3 at lust.ihug.co.nz>,
Lawrence D'Oliveiro  <ldo at geek-central.gen.new_zealand> wrote:
>In message <mg2i06-vql.ln1 at lairds.us>, Cameron Laird wrote:
>
>>    def shell_escape(Arg) :
>>        """returns Arg suitably escaped for use as a command-line argument
>>        to Bash."""
>>
>>        pattern = r"[\<\>\"\'\|\&\$\#\;\(\)\[\]\{\}\`\!\~\ \\]"
>>        def f1(Match):
>> return "\\" + Match.group(0)
>>        return re.sub(pattern, f1, Arg)
>>              # Need to catch anything that might be meaningful to shell
>>    #end shell_escape
>
>So why is that better?

I'm very lost, now.  As best I can remember and/or reconstruct
this conversation, the form above is adequately readable and
does not involve lambda (and fits in eighty-column lines, and
has a few even more mundane features).  There's a realm within
Pythonia that favors lambdalessness.

I think that's all I'm claiming at this point.