RELEASED Python 3.0 final

Fri Dec 5 17:58:10 EST 2008

On Fri, 05 Dec 2008 07:09:27 -0800, bearophileHUGS wrote:

> Andreas Waldenburger:
>> Whenever has it been a pythonic ideal to "not allow" stuff? You get
>> warnings. Everything else is up to you.
>
> It's a strong source for bugs, especially for newbies, that I have hoped
> to see removed from Python3 (my first request of this was years ago). I
> was nearly sure to see this wart removed from Python3, and now I hear
> it's presents still. I don't understand why they haven't fixed it.

"It"? Context please... snipping unnecessarily quoted text is a good
thing, but please leave enough context for people to know what you're
talking about.

I think you're talking about mixed spaces/tabs in the one module.
Frankly, I question just how "strong" a source of bugs it really is. Oh,
I don't doubt that there are circumstances where it can cause bugs, but I
don't remember the last time the solution to some newbie's problem on
comp.lang.python was "use spaces or tabs but not both". My gut feeling is
that you have to have a fairly unusual set of circumstances before it
causes actual bugs.

So perhaps nobody on the python-dev team have fixed it yet because nobody
cares enough to do the work, or it's unexciting and tedious to fix. Or
maybe python-dev *think* they've fixed it, and the fact that it isn't
fixed is a bug that needs reporting.

> Then this is the third thing I don't like of Python3 (the other two
> being the removal of automatic tuple unpacking in function signature and
> the wart of literals for empty set/dict).

Er, what do you mean? What wart?

--
Steven