Emacs vs. Eclipse vs. Vim

Mario Testinori mtestinori at no_mail.com
Mon Dec 1 19:17:12 EST 2008

On Mon, 1 Dec 2008 15:57:17 -0800 (PST), "sjdevnull at yahoo.com"
<sjdevnull at yahoo.com> wrote:

>On Nov 29, 3:44 pm, Josh <jho... at hotmail.com> wrote:
>> If you were a beginning programmer and willing to make an investment in
>> steep learning curve for best returns down the road, which would you pick?
>>
>> I know this topic has been smashed around a bit already, but 'learning
>> curve' always seems to be an arguement. If you feel that one is easier
>> or harder than the others to learn feel free to tell, but let's not make
>> that the deciding factor. Which one will be most empowering down the
>> road as a development tool?
>
>I'd strongly recommend not using an IDE but going with federated
>tools; this makes it easier to pick the editor, code navigation tool,
>build system, etc that you like best, and makes it easier to swap out
>one piece at a time if you don't like it.  So of the choices
>mentioned, I'd go with emacs or vim if I were you.

I'd say this has another advantage, that someone already mentioned -
better learning the process that goes behind the gui of an ide.
After all, an ide is just a frontend to something ...

>Personally I also find high value in picking an editor that can be run
>on a command-line terminal connection (e.g. when you're ssh'd into a
>remote server), but that may be less important depending on what sort
>of development you are doing.

True, the value of this could vary from critical to not important at
all.

-- Mario