Don't you just love writing this sort of thing :)

Fri Dec 5 07:15:27 EST 2008

On Fri, 05 Dec 2008 23:16:08 +1300, Lawrence D'Oliveiro wrote:

> In message <0148b086$0$20670$c3e8da3 at news.astraweb.com>, Steven D'Aprano
> wrote:
>
>> On Fri, 05 Dec 2008 13:27:35 +1300, Lawrence D'Oliveiro wrote:

>>> I don't do that.
>>
>> Perhaps you should?
>
> I prefer using explicitly Boolean values for conditions.

Perhaps you do, but there's no evidence of such in your post.

bool(PatchDatePat.search(f) != None)

would be an "explicitly Boolean value". What you posted was an
*implicitly* Boolean value, and not even guaranteed to be Boolean, as
__ne__ can return any object it likes.

And yes, such a call to bool would be pointless.

--
Steven