Python's popularity

r rt8396 at gmail.com
Mon Dec 22 14:28:44 EST 2008

On Dec 22, 1:10 pm, MRAB <goo... at mrabarnett.plus.com> wrote:
> r wrote:
> > Steve Holden
> >> What makes you assume this is a zero-sum game, and that Python won't
> >> survive if any other language becomes popular. Every language borrows
> >> from those that came before it. Terms like "outright plagiarism" don't
> >> encourage rational debate, and make you seem like a troll who is more
> >> interested in stirring up controversy than actually doing things to help
> >> promote the language.
>
> > This is a war Steve, and i will explain why. Python does not need to
> > compete with perl, lisp, C, basic, etc, etc. WHY, well because python
> > is SO radically different than those languages. Ruby on the other
> > hand, took most from python, the only difference is Ruby's full OO
> > integration.(12.method()). Since Ruby is so similar to python we must
> > consider that some people who would have found only python in this
> > niche now could go to Ruby. I am for choices, but this is out and out
> > robbery!
> > Of course we must stand on the shoulders of greater minds than our own
> > to get ahead, but using someone's knowledge against them is wrong. If
> > Ruby want's to incorporate so many Pythonian ideas into their
> > language, at least put a note in the tutorial giving credit to Guido
> > for his wisdom. Don't use our ideas and then bash python in the next
> > breath!
>
> [snip]
> "Pythonian"? A real Pythonista would know it's "Pythonic"! A real
> Pythonista would be called "p", not "r", which sounds very Rubish(?) to
> me...

MRAB -> '%sMuchRubyAndBasic' %'Too'
MRAB -> Method.Ruby(AttractsBraindead)
MRAB -> MyRubyAintBad
MRAB -> MuchoRubyAndBasic

Pythonian is more acceptable in the context of my sentence...

""" If Ruby want's to incorporate so many Pythonian ideas into their
language, at least put a note in the tutorial giving credit to Guido
for his wisdom."""

Pythonian.translate() -> in the domain if Python... ownership
Pythonic.translate() -> in a python style... (way of)

two radically different meaning, of course if you vocabulary reaches
that far??