[Tutor] Having Issues with CMD and the 'python' command

W W srilyk at gmail.com
Tue Dec 16 04:20:29 EST 2008

On Mon, Dec 15, 2008 at 9:56 AM, Benjamin Kaplan
<benjamin.kaplan at case.edu>wrote:

> It's not a question of sensibility. It's a question of purpose. The Zen is
> the philosophy of a language that tries to be easy to learn and easy to use.
> Python is used by programmers who want to experiment with it, but who
> usually know enough not to os.system("rm -r /") or anything similar.
> Windows, on the other hand, wants to hide everything that can potentially
> ruin the system as deep as possible so that many of the idiots who use that
> system don't do stupid things like delete the registry, wipe the environment
> settings, turn off the "Nag Screen" (UAC), and other things of that nature

But if it were sensible, it would (like certain other OS's) make it more
difficult to have built-in permissions that allow you to totally hose the
system, i.e. it would be secure.While it may not technically be using the
same comparison criteria we do, Python still gives you the proper result:

In [5]: 'obfuscation' is not 'security' and 'obfuscation' != 'security'
Out[5]: True

I think that's an important concept for programmers to realize. Allowing
people to break things if they fool around enough is not a very sensible, or
secure way of running things. And if you're writing OSes, the sensible thing
is to write secure code. And if you're writing programs for general
consumption, it's /also/ best to write secure code.

That's my 2c anyways :)
-Wayne