Preventing execution of a method

alex23 wuwei23 at gmail.com
Thu Dec 11 11:16:51 EST 2008

On Dec 12, 2:07 am, "Emanuele D'Arrigo" <man... at gmail.com> wrote:
> I.e. if I have a class with two methods, doSomethingSafe() and
> doSomethingDangerous(), is there a way to prevent another module from
> executing doSomethingDangerous() but allow the execution of
> doSomethingSafe()?
>
> My understanding is that in python this is not possible. Can you
> confirm?

Your understanding is correct.

The Python convention is to prefix non-public methods/classes etc with
an underscore, as in _doSomethingDangerous(). This is meant to
indicate to anyone using your module that they shouldn't use this
function, at least not without having a good understanding of what it
does.