Python 3 and my Mac (Leopard)

scott scottm45810 at hotmail.com
Sat Dec 27 17:06:03 EST 2008

Dan wrote:
> Wanted to learn python, got Mark Summerfield's new book "Programming in
> Python 3".  Having a hard time getting python 3 and IDLE working on my
> Mac with Leopard.  The mac "resources" on the python.org site seem a bit
> out of date, and don't really mention python 3.  Are there any resources
> out there?  Is the python community just not interested in Macs?  I've
> tried googling and the usual search strategies.  Any help would be
> appreciated.
>
> DAN

Activestate has a Python 3.0 distribution for 8 or 9 platforms including
Mac OS X:
http://www.activestate.com/Products/activepython/python3.mhtml
IDLE works well here on Leopard (calltips etc) and they have bundled
documentation in Apple help format.

Note:
I installed ActiveTcl prior to installing Python 3.0:
http://www.activestate.com/Products/activetcl/index.mhtml
I'm not sure if this was necessary for proper IDLE function or not. Both
ActivePython 3.0 and ActiveTcl installs were painless.