SyntaxError: encoding problem: with BOM

John Machin sjmachin at lexicon.net
Thu Dec 25 08:21:03 EST 2008

On Dec 25, 11:36 pm, NoName <zaz... at gmail.com> wrote:
> On 25 дек, 03:35, "Diez B. Roggisch" <de... at nospam.web.de> wrote:
>

> > NoName schrieb:

> > > I used Far Manager editor. and it *really* used cp866
> > > I can print hex dump of source file.
> > > I don't want to use UTF-8 for py-file!
>
> > How about you show us the python file in question?
>
> > diez
>
> you can get it here http://slil.ru/26481345

NoName, Asking people to download a zip file from a website written in
a language and character set that they probably are not familiar with
is liable to make them rather nervous and not bother. It's not a good
way to ask for help. All you had to do was display the file contents
unambiguously, like this:

C:\downloads>\python30\python
Python 3.0 (r30:67507, Dec  3 2008, 20:14:27) [MSC v.1500 32 bit
(Intel)] on win32
>>> open('11.py', 'rb').read()
b"# -*- coding: cp866 -*- \r\nprint('test')"
>>> ^Z

So, there's nothing very remarkable there ... a trailing space on the
end of the first line, the second line is not terminated by \r\n, no
non-ASCII characters in the file, ... nothing that might cause Python
to give you a syntax error.

... and it doesn't give a syntax error:

C:\downloads>\python30\python 11.py
test

If you still maintain that you are getting the syntax error mentioned
in your first posting, please construct a file that causes the error
to happen on your machine (what type of machine? what OS are you
using?) and show (like I did above) firstly what is in the file and
secondly what happens when you run it. No hex editors, no websites, no
zip files, just plain Python like I did.