Learning Python now coming from Perl

Roy Smith roy at panix.com
Sat Dec 6 23:07:10 EST 2008

In article <mailman.5121.1228614893.3487.python-list at python.org>,
 "Python Nutter" <pythonnutter at gmail.com> wrote:

> At least if you push REs inform the readers where to get the a RE GUI
> builder written in Python so they can build and *test* the complex and
> unwieldy REs to perform anything beyond the basic pattern searches.

Oh, my, I think my brain's about to explode.  A RE GUI builder?  Cough,
gasp, sputter.  This is literally the first time I've ever heard of such a
thing, and it's leaving a bad taste in my mouth.

RE is the last bastion of Real Programmers.  Real Programmers don't use GUI
builders.  Using a GUI to build an RE is like trying to program by pushing
little UMLish things around with a mouse.  It's Just Wrong.