Removing None objects from a sequence

Fri Dec 12 17:55:20 EST 2008

On Fri, 12 Dec 2008 21:18:36 +0000, Lie Ryan wrote:

> On Fri, 12 Dec 2008 11:50:38 -0500, Steve Holden wrote:
>
>> Kirk Strauser wrote:

>>> So what's the difference exactly?  "foo is not None" is actually
>>> surprising to me, since "not None" is True.  "0 is True" is False, but
>>> "0 is not None" is True.  Why is that?
>>
>> "is not" is an operator, so the parse is
>>
>> foo (is not) None
>>
>> not
>>
>> foo is (not None)
>>

> Personally, I'd prefer VB's version:
> foo IsNot bar
>
> or in pseudo-python
> foo isnot bar
>
> since that would make it less ambiguous.

"a is not b" is no more ambiguous than "1+2*3". True, there's ambiguity
if you are ignorant of the precedence rules, but that's no worse than
saying that "+" is ambiguous if you don't know what "+" means.

"What's this 'is' operator??? It's ambiguous, it could mean ANYTHING!!!
Panic panic panic panic!!!"

*wink*

You're allowed to assume the normal conventions, and (lucky for me!)
despite being Dutch Guido choose to assume the normal English convention
that "a is not b" means the same as "not (a is b)" rather than "a is (not
b)". That's probably because the use-cases for the second would be rather
rare.

So given the normal precedence rules of Python, there is no ambiguity.
True, you have to learn the rules, but that's no hardship.

--
Steven