a small doubt

Bruno Desthuilliers bdesth.quelquechose at free.quelquepart.fr
Sun Dec 21 09:17:45 EST 2008

(answering to the OP)

> Piyush Anonymous wrote:
>> i wrote this code
>> --
>> class Person(object):
>>     instancesCount = 0
>>     def __init__(self, title=""):
>>         Person.instancesCount += 1
>>         self.id <http://self.id> = "tempst"
>>     def testprint(self):
>>         print "blah blah"
>>     def __getattribute__(self, name):
>>         print "in get attribute"
>>
>> a = Person()
>> a.testprint()
>> print a.id <http://a.id>
>> -----
>> but i am getting this error
>> ----
>> in get attribute
>> Traceback (most recent call last):
>>   File "trapmethodcall1.py", line 15, in <module>
>>     a.testprint()
>> TypeError: 'NoneType' object is not callable
>> ------
>> why is it so? __getattribute__ is called whenever an attribute or
>> method is called, rt?

Yes. Methods are attributes too.  And __getattribute__ is the attribute
lookup operator implementation - it is invoked *everytime* you have
obj.attr or getattr(obj, "attr") or hasattr(obj, "attr"). IOW, you'd
better *not* touch it unless 1/ you really know what you're doing, 2/
you have a very compelling reason to do so and 3/ you're ok to pay the
performance hit (the default implementation in 'object' being optimized).

>> or if i set __getattribute__ , i cannot have
>> methods in class?

Yes, you can. But you have to write a proper implementation of
__getattribute__. The one above will prevent you from accessing any
class or instance attribute (or, more exactly, will always return None).

>> actually my aim is to trap all method calls and keep a counter which
>> is update whenever method called or returned. how should i go about it?

Using __getattribute__, you'll only get at the method when it is looked
up (which doesn't imply it will be called). If you want to log calls and
returns, you'll have to wrap the method in a decorator. You can do this
either manually (ie manually adding the logger decorator on methods),
via monkeypatching on class objects (but this can be tricky too), or
adding a properly implemented version of __getattribute__ (but this
won't work if the method is looked up on the class itself)

# a Q&D method call logger

def log(meth):
     if hasattr(meth, "logged"):
         # already wrapped
         return meth

     def logged(*args, **kw):
         if hasattr(meth, "im_self"):
             # wrapping a method
             what = "method %s " % meth
         else:
             # wrapping a function, 'self' or 'cls' is the first arg
             what = "method %s of object %s" % (meth, args[0])
         print "%s called with %s %s" % (what, str(args), kw)
         try:
             result = meth(*args, **kw)
         except Exception, e:
             print "%s raised %s" % (what, e)
             raise
         else:
             print "%s returned %s" % (what, str(result))
         return result
     logged.logged = True
     return logged

# manual decoration

class Foo(object):
     @log
     def bar(self):
         pass

# using __getattribute__

class Foo(object):
     def bar(self):
         pass
     def __getattribute__(self, name):
         attr = super(Foo2, self).__getattribute__(name)
         if hasattr(attr, "im_self"):
             attr = log(attr)
         return attr

Given the shortcomings of the __getattribute__ version (performance hit
and only triggered on instance lookup), I'd strongly suggest the manual
decoration - possibly using a flag (global setting or environment
variable) to switch it off, ie:

if globals().get("DEBUG", False):
     def log(func):
         def logged(*args, **kw):
             # wrapping a function
             # we assume this function is used as a method, so
             # 'self' or 'cls' is the first arg
             what = "method %s of object %s" % (func, args[0])
             print "%s called with %s %s" % (what, str(args), kw)
             try:
                 result = func(*args, **kw)
             except Exception, e:
                 print "%s raised %s" % (what, e)
                 raise
             print "%s returned %s" % (what, str(result))
             return result
     return logged
else:
     def log(func):
         # no-op
         return func

NB : all this is pretty Q&D and mostly untested, but it should get you
started.

HTH