noob trouble with IDLE

Rhodri James rhodri at wildebst.demon.co.uk
Mon Dec 22 20:29:31 EST 2008

On Sun, 21 Dec 2008 21:46:16 -0000, Ronald Rodriguez
<ronaldrdguez at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi, Im new to python and I've just started using Byte of Python, running
> the
> samples etc. Im using IDLE on Xp. Ok, here's the thing.
> A sample script makes a call to the os.system() function in order to zip
> some files. Everything works fine when running from the command line, but
> the same code fails when I try Run --> Run module on IDLE. Im using 7z to
> zip the files. Again, everything is OK when running from the command
> line.
> Remember, Im new to python and programming. I've done some google search
> without results. Maybe its just too simple :-(  . Any help would be
> appreciated. Thanks in advance.

When you say "the same code fails" when run via IDLE, what exactly do you
mean?  Does it produce huge amounts of traceback and whinging?  Does it
lock up IDLE entirely?  Does it thumb its nose at you and go off to dance
the night away in Ibiza?

Absent that information, my best guess is that 7z has its own internal
event loop (a quick Google suggests that it's a GUI tool) which fights
for dominance with IDLE's event loop.  This is a fairly common problem,
and a good reason for avoiding using IDLE's "Run Module" for anything
but the most straightforward Python code.