Twisted for non-networking applications

Bryan Olson fakeaddress at nowhere.org
Mon Dec 22 22:50:40 EST 2008

Kottiyath wrote:
>    Is it a good idea to use Twisted inside my application, even though
> it has no networking part in it?
>    Basically, my application needs lots of parallel processing - but I
> am rather averse to using threads -

With or without threads, the Python interpreter does not do parallel
processing. You could use multiple processes, or a thread could call an
extension module that releases Python's global interpreter lock, but
Python itself does not offer parallel processing.

> due to myraid issues it can cause.
> So, I was hoping to use a reactor pattern to avoid the threads.

The reactor pattern describes event-driven I/0, not parallel processing.

--
--Bryan