New Python 3.0 string formatting - really necessary?

Fri Dec 19 20:46:13 EST 2008

On Fri, 19 Dec 2008 09:55:01 -0800, bearophileHUGS wrote:

> C string formatting is short and a flexible enough, but it's out of
> place in a language as high level as Python3. The new syntax allows more
> flexibility, and it's better for most people that don't know C already,
> like newbies, etc.

I'm somebody who frequently argues that we shouldn't assume that
everybody knows C. But on the other hand, we shouldn't assume that
newbies don't know C either! % formatting is so very common that even a
duffer like me who never learned C came to Python already knowing the
basics of % formatting.

--
Steven