getting back into programming

usawargamer at yahoo.com usawargamer at yahoo.com
Wed Dec 10 16:02:16 EST 2008

I used to program in C and Perl (up until 2001) (a little C++ and Java
too).  Since then I've been a Business Analyst and only coded in VBA/
Excel and written some SQL queries.  (we use Sybase)

I feel the need for other tools.
Primarily I want to write a bunch of small programs to query a
database and perform some calculations.   While I can do this inside a
Sybase stored procedure, its a bit messy trying to "reimplement" a set
of calculations from Excel into Sybase.

I would like to either:
- relearn Perl
or
- learn Python (I have heard its a nice language)

1. How good and easy to use is the Python database interface (to
Sybase)?

2. Can you suggest some good books, and/or links for learning Python,
as well as teh database interface?

3. How difficult is it to install Python vs Perl on PC/Windows
machines?