how to get a beep, OS independent ?

Peter Pearson ppearson at nowhere.invalid
Sun Dec 7 16:13:19 EST 2008

On Sun, 07 Dec 2008 00:40:53 +0100, Stef Mientki wrote:

> I want to give a small beep,
> for windows there's message-beep,
> and there seems to be something like " curses" ,
> but that package seems to be totally broken in P2.5 for windows.
>
> Any other suggestions ?

Many people have suggested sending an ASCII 07 to your
terminal window, but sometimes you don't have a terminal
window.

Then there's the question of using the sound card versus
using the PC speaker.  Too complicated for me.

I used a kluge: a short C program that beeps the way I want,
in this case using ioctl(fd,KDMKTONE,arg) on /dev/tty0 (this
is Linux).  The program has enough privileges to execute
even when run by unprivileged users, and of course can be
invoked by whatever language you're working in.