Guido's new method definition idea

James Stroud jstroud at mbi.ucla.edu
Sat Dec 6 02:57:41 EST 2008

Steven D'Aprano wrote:
> On Fri, 05 Dec 2008 20:35:07 -0800, James Stroud wrote:

>> Daniel Fetchinson wrote:
>>> I'd like this new way of defining methods, what do you guys think?

>> Consider the maverick who insists on
>>
>> class C:
>>    def me.method(arg):
>>      self.value = arg
>
> Replace "self" with "me".

Yes, I corrected myself one minute after I made the typo.

>> which should be equivalent to
>>
>> class C:
>>    def method(me, arg):
>>      me.value = arg
>>
>> What's the interpreter going to do with our maverick's code?
>
> I don't see why you think this is a problem.

The behavior was unspecified as far as I could tell and I was curious as
to whether "me" would still be allowed as a reference to self. Allowing
alternatives to "self" would maintain backwards compatibility as the use
of self has been a convention and not enforced by the language.

James

--
James Stroud
Box 951570