Python is slow

acerimusdux acerimusdux at comcast.net
Wed Dec 10 21:33:51 EST 2008

cm_gui wrote:
> You guys are living in denial.
> Python is SLOW, especially for web apps.
>
> Instead of getting mad, why don't get together and come up with a
> faster VM/interpreter?
>
> The emperor doesn't like to be told he is not wearing any clothes?

The one in denial is the one without any evidence to back his
assertions. as someone once said, "In God we Trust. All others must have
data."

For example, the most recent benchmarks from The Computer Language
Benchmark Game:

http://shootout.alioth.debian.org/u64/benchmark.php?test=all&lang=al
http://shootout.alioth.debian.org/u32/benchmark.php?test=all&lang=all
http://shootout.alioth.debian.org/gp4/benchmark.php?test=all&lang=all

On Gentoo on a Pentium 4 for example:

mean
07.10 Python Psyco
19.34 Lua
23.00 Python
28.27 Perl
30.00 PHP
66.28 Javascript SpiderMonkey
75.12 Ruby

I have no idea about Zope, but if that's slow, go complain to the
devlopers of Zope. The Python interpreter is one of the fastest for a
dynamically interpreted language. And Psyco is competitive with many
other JIT compilers. I would think someone who has been obsessing about
the speed of Python since May, and especially interested in a Python
"VM" would have learned by now about Psyco?