Calling C# COM (.NET) from python

Mike Driscoll kyosohma at gmail.com
Mon Dec 8 16:54:00 EST 2008

On Dec 8, 3:33 pm, Andrew Falanga <af300... at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Dec 8, 11:52 am, Mike Driscoll <kyoso... at gmail.com> wrote:

> > > I would not deal with COM at all. I personally have not used it, but
> > > there is a version of python called IronPython that's written in C#,
> > > so it can use .NET and, I think, other C# objects. Other people will
> > > probably help you more, but you might want to look into that and maybe
> > > ask this on the python-win list.
>
> > As I understand it, IronPython can use anything done in the CLR, so
> > technically I could write something in VB.NET, C# or any of the other
> > VS languages and then use them from within IronPython. It should be
> > noted that IronPython does not support most 3rd party packages that
> > are not pure python. As I recall, it doesn't have the complete builtin
> > library either, but it's close.
>
> > Reads the docs and check it out at least. If you already know .NET
> > languages, then you'll probably find IronPython helpful.
>
> > Mike
>
> To all, thanks for the great replies.  I've got something to work with
> here.  Thanks to for the link to PyWin32 and the mailing list.  That
> sounds promising as does this IronPython.  I wished I knew more
> of .NET and python more (as my original post claims, I've never
> written Python and I only wished I knew the .NET stuff better for
> better footing in this).  I'm very much the proverbial, "fish out of
> water," as I'm a UNIX man now stuck in a Windows world.
>
> Thanks again,
> Andy

Andy,

Welcome to the wonderful world of Python programming. It's fun and
cool! Windows is a complex place, but the Python crew on that PyWin32
mailing list will help you out with that stuff and the people here
will help you with your more general questions.

Last week, there was another beginner who needed some clues for where
to go for learning the language. I suggest you read that thread as it
had lots of good examples:

http://groups.google.com/group/comp.lang.python/browse_frm/thread/29278b3db85a1341#

I recommend the Dive Into Python online book too, which is listed in
the link above. There are also lots of quality physical books out
there. Let me know if you need any suggestions for those.

Have a nice day!

Mike