PyQt: Pulling Abstract Item Data from Mime Data using Drag and Drop.

David Boddie david at boddie.org.uk
Fri Dec 12 19:17:25 EST 2008

On Friday 12 December 2008 02:05, Mudcat wrote:

> The drag is working up until the point I try to actually retrieve the
> data. At that point I get an unhandled Runtime Error saying "no access
> to protected functions or signals for objects not created in Python".

That's correct, retrieveData() is a protected function in C++ and the
QMimeData object was created by the framework, not you, in this case.

> Obviously I am not retrieving them in the correct format. Does anyone
> know how to convert/retrieve the information into a Python list?

You could use the data() method to get the serialized data then try to
extract the list item-by-item using the QDataStream class, or perhaps
PyQt has a convenience function to unpack the items.

Alternatively - and this is a bit speculative - perhaps you can copy
the data to another QMimeData object which you have created, and use
its retrieveData() method to retrieve the items.

You might get a more detailed response by asking on the PyQt mailing list: